Florida is a great state to homeschool! There are lots of resources available right in our own local area. Here are a few of them.
- Homeschool co-ops
- “Umbrella” schools: private school that offers part-time classes or resources to homeschool families
- Private tutors
Facebook is a great place to search for tutors, homeschool groups, or co-ops nearby.
Steps to Homeschooling
- File intent to homeschool
30 days prior to starting homeschooling, you are legally required to send a letter of intent to homeschool to the superintendent of your local school district. A sample letter can be found by clicking here.
- Orange County Superintendent:
Barbara M. Jenkins
445 W. Amelia S.
Orlando, FL 32801
- Seminole County Superintendent:
400 E. Lake Mary Blvd.
Sanford, FL 32773
- Maintain portfolio
A portfolio must be maintained for each student that is being homeschooled. The portfolio contains items like worksheets, quizzes, essays, and other educational activities the students participate in. Portfolios must be maintained for at least 2 years and is subject to inspection.
At the end of each school year, students must be evaluated. There are OPTIONS for evaluation, including
- a certified FL teacher’s review of the student’s portfolio
- a state-normed test administered by a certified FL teacher or approved testing center
- a state-approved psychologist’s assessment
- another agreed-upon evaluation method between the parent and superintendent
- Familiarize yourself with the statutes!
There are laws in place to assure efficacy in homeschooling. Familiarize yourself with them by Visiting the Florida Department of Education website.
Florida Virtual School
- FREE for Florida residents
- Curriculum created to meet Florida educational standards
- Each course is taught by a state-certified teacher
- Go at your own pace
- Available for students K-12
- Teacher calls and counseling available
- Finishing the course through FLVS meets evaluation requirements
- Over 30 student clubs and groups available, ranging from TV production to yearbook.
- Fully accredited
- Flex or full-time schedules available
- Enrollment ends July 31, 2020!